Thursday, November 15, 2012

Some Thoughts on Sandy

I know it seems like I've been neglecting the blog on what most review bloggers will tell you is the busiest time of the year. It's almost like we're little elves in the midst of pre holiday preparations.

The truth is, most of my family is back home, on Long Island, New York.

That sounds familiar, because that is one of the major areas that were affected by Hurricane Sandy. My home town was under water, the barrier island breeched. Neighborhoods that don't typically flood were severely flooded, and areas that never thought they would be affected by anything other than wind, were ravished by flood water, high tide, and down power lines.

Did you know that there are still 15,000 homes on Long Island that are without power?? I don't know about you, but after 10 minutes during a storm, I start getting antsy. I can't imagine 10 days or more!

A view of Sandy from Space- Courtesy of NASA
On top of that, the area also got hit by a nor'easter. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad, but the fact of the matter is, it got cold enough to snow, several inches, yet there were homes with no heat.

Living  1500 miles away, it was obviously difficult to help my friends, family and neighbors in need. One of my friends posted some information on donation locations for residents of Breezy Point.

Breezy Point was this beautiful beach town, that was more than just a town. This community was close knit, each block throwing open-house style parties, the coolest and funniest mardi-gras parade, and always there for one another. I remember heading there to our extended family's house to have a ton of summer fun. I remember this one time that my cousin and I went, and the sand was so hot, it burned her feet. The ems workers that lived on the road came by and gave us cream to put on her feet. We were kids, but we learned that sand does get that hot from that crazy day! 

Anyway, when I read the message about the donation spot, I decided to spread the word the best I could. I even sent a small care package up. I've read since then that they are doing well with the clothing donations, but are still in dire need of food.

There's still homes all over New York and New Jersey that don't have electric. No electric means no hot water to bathe in. No television, computer, internet, possibly even phone. 

My heart is with them all during their time of need. My prayers are with their families.

I cannot stress to you, my readers, to be thankful for what you've got this holiday season. Things can change in the blink of an eye. For my friends and family affected by Sandy, they know now that things can be replaced, you need to cherish what's most important- your family.

Remember that as you bite into your bird next week. In the meantime, get ready for some Black Friday ads, special savings offers, and our Gift Giving Guide. Try something for the last 15 days of November. Every morning when you get into the car, say out loud one thing you're super grateful for.

0 comments:

ShareThis

e319c3d269013d80a5a32ff474a7af14a7f982023eadae48bd
BlogMommas.com Powered By Ringsurf
Original Template created by: Ourblogtemplates.com Edited & Tweaked by Lauren from 4BabyAndMom