Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sparkle Faux's: Save some Money on Shoes this Fall




Back-To-School time is expensive enough without having to figure in the trendiest accessories of the season. My daughter is 7, and like most girls her age, she's head over heels for Sketcher's shoes. Last year, she had to have HyDee High-Tops! She finally wore me down; after she brought home a great report card, I bought her a pair of these high dollar high tops as a reward. Of course, she did what every kid does when you buy them some expensive new duds--outgrew them in the blink of an eye. Farewell, $49.99 shoes.

When school shopping commenced this year, I was informed by my daughter that the new "it" shoe from Sketcher's was the "Twinkle Toes" and she HAD to have a pair. These shoes are adorable; they are covered in every kind of bling imaginable. I understand her want--if I could get away with wearing them, I would! But after the high top fiasco, I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a fashion shoe knowing she's going to outgrow them the moment I shell out the money. (These shoes run between $39.99-$54.99)

I had an epiphany while looking at these in the store--I can make these! (or something close enough to be acceptable to my daughter!) I have acrylic paints, buttons, and brushes in my craft box!! So, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of $3 plain blue sneakers and went to town!

I painted random things like peace signs,arts, and rainbows, with acrylic paints and outlined with a colored Sharpie marker. Then I applied glitter stars and button hearts using fabric glue. They turned out adorable and my daughter LOVES them. All of her friends think they are adorable too!

So, if you're little dolls want some "Twinkle Toes", and you're crafty, why not make some "Sparkle Fauxs" and save a few bucks? :)





1 comments:

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews August 28, 2010  

Those are cute...what a great idea!

I found your blog on Spotlight Saturday blog hop. Have a great day!

ShareThis

e319c3d269013d80a5a32ff474a7af14a7f982023eadae48bd
BlogMommas.com Powered By Ringsurf
Original Template created by: Ourblogtemplates.com Edited & Tweaked by Lauren from 4BabyAndMom