Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Beauty on a Budget

Since having Abbigaile three years ago, the time that I take for myself has been dwindling to mere seconds that I can grab in between bottles and diapers and dinner. I can't help but look at moms that seem to have themselves together and feel a little bit of envy, and wish I could find the time to truly take care of myself the way that I did when it was just Alex at my side. With another little life depending on me now, the seconds I held so precious just seem so far and few between.

One of my best girlfriends came over the other night to have a conversation about life in general. The both of us could not remember the last time that we got our haircut or gotten a pedicure. She laughed as I told her that the last time I had a real manicure was when my younger cousin got married, almost 4 years ago. Recently, I wrote an article on how to make more time for yourself, but finding the "time" was still hard. The two of us decided that was it- we were going to go and get our hair cut, and we were going together. Money was the only issue that was holding us back, with the drop in the economy, both of our husbands have taken cuts at work- but we knew there had to be a way.

We did some research and took a drive to our local beauty school, and within 15 minutes, we were sitting in a chair, ready to go. My friend got her hair cut and razored, and it looked amazing! I chose to have a deep scalp conditioning, and a hair cut. The hairdresser that cut my hair also thinned it for me, (I have insanely thick curly hair that never seems to fall right), and for the first time in a very long time I walked out feeling like I finally got a hair cut that looked great on me. My hair looked amazing, it wasn't too poufy, and it was beautiful!

The total cost of my deep conditioning treatment, and once-in-a-lifetime haircut was $12. I nearly fell on the floor and started to giggle as I paid the student behind the counter. My girlfriends new and exciting cute cost her $6. I took a brochure as we left, and threw it in my purse. After I got home, I pulled out the brochure and began to read.

There really was a solution to the high priced salons and spas. I could get my eyebrows waxed for THREE dollars!!! Or get a one-hour massage for only $20!!

My advice to you- run, don't walk, to your nearest phone book and look for a beauty school or technical school that has cosmetology near you. Call them, ask their prices, and see how far away they are. Budget it out, and do something for yourself. Not only will your body, self esteem, and self image thank you, but so will your wallet!

3 comments:

Unknown March 18, 2009  

should've thought of this before I spent over $100 int he last week for a cut and highlight LOL

Maryann March 18, 2009  

That is a great idea. I never think to do stuff like that. My FIL uses the dental school for his dental visits.

Anonymous,  March 19, 2009  

What a great idea. The nearest one near me is only a 15min ride. And with hair cuts going at $60plus here in NY. $20. is a steel and worth the ride. Thanks for the info.

ShareThis

e319c3d269013d80a5a32ff474a7af14a7f982023eadae48bd
BlogMommas.com Powered By Ringsurf
Original Template created by: Ourblogtemplates.com Edited & Tweaked by Lauren from 4BabyAndMom